|Houghtons Ltd of London, England
has a long history; beginning in
1834 as a glass seller, and later, Daguerreotype equipment under
license. By 1902 Houghtons was selling a variety of cameras
accessories including the Sanderson camera and German
1915 the manufacture of cameras came to the fore with W. Butcher as a
partner. In 1926 Houghton and Butcher merged to create
Butcher with a marketing company under the name of Ensign.
manufacturing facilities were destroyed during the Battle of Britain in
1940. Under new owners, Houghton Ltd continued to manufacture
cameras until 1961.